Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Christmas Inspiration

I love Christmas time.  When I was a kid a lot of it might have been about the presents (or at the time I thought it was) but as I grew up I realized I didn't remember the presents; I have memories of the people 
and events.  I will always remember Christmases at my Grandma's house in North Battleford with almost all my aunts and uncles and cousins.  My brother, sister and I would sleep in a room in the attic right next to the chimney and my sister would convince my brother and I that we could hear Santa sliding down the chimney (I'm still not sure if she actually thought she did too or if she was messing with us).  Once she even said that after we went to sleep she snuck downstairs and saw him.  We usually didn't fall asleep til quite late.  We would go to bed and spend hours talking about how excited we were and wishing we could just fall asleep so that morning would come faster.  Usually I would end up talking and asking a question, only to realize that I was the only one still awake.  Then time moved even slower.  Our stockings were always laid out by our feet in the morning (the one present we were allowed to open before everyone else woke up).  

The only present I remember from anytime in elementary school or before was a stuffed rudolph the red-nosed reindeer whose nose lights up.  I remember him especially because I got him on Boxing Day and not Christmas.  I loved Rudolph and really wanted him for Christmas, but I was too excited to even realize I didn't get him and then on Boxing Day my parents said that they thought I had missed a present from Santa and that I should look around the front room for it.  Behind a large armchair by the fireplace I found Rudolph and I don't think I could have been more excited.  I still have him.  Much later I learned that there was a lot of panic and anger on my parents part when on Christmas they realized they somehow forgot to wrap Rudolph(after almost failing to get him when he was apparently sold out) and thought that they may have forgotten him in Regina only to find him later in a suitcase or under a seat in the car or something.  The last few Christmases I have gotten other Rudolph stuffed animals as well.  One of them is just a stuffy whose nose lights up and can sing, but when you cover his nose he says "I don't wanna cover my nose" The other is a stuffed toy and a game of hot potato.  Music plays and when you are holding him and the music stops and his nose goes off , you lose.  I have had a lot of fun with this game but I love it and hate it at the same time because the entire message behind the show is that you should accept people for who they are and that Rudolph's nose should be celebrated instead of ridiculed or hidden, and in this game it is once again a negative symbol. (I know taking Rudolph too seriously is kind of ridiculous, if not totally, but I have watched rudolph at least twice a year for as long as I can remember).  But I guess it is kind of like Santa in this whole movie. Why is Santa such a dick in this movie?  He honestly tells Rudolph's parents that they need to hide his nose from everyone, and only accepts him when he can use his nose to guide his sleigh.  Still though, I love the 'Rudolph the Red-nosed Reindeer' stop-motion animated special from 1964, more than any other Christmas movie.  Even more than 'Santa Claus is Coming to Town', where Mrs. Claus goes on some sort of acid trip and climbs into the town square fountain despite the fact that it's winter -- crazy, and awesome.  

I have great memories of Christmas, and I probably start writing more stories about Christmas, or set around Christmas than any other time.  Some of them are more creative non-fiction than stories, and I think that I have only ever finished one of these stories (and in that one I killed Santa Claus, or a mall Santa -- in front of a little kid).  I was proud of that story, but I did worry that people would take it as a commentary on Christmas or Santa.  I guess maybe he deserves it for being such a dick to Rudolph, but I can't stay mad at him.  Usually he is nice.  Anyway, it is getting to be wintery and close to Christmas and the only way that I know how to accept the cold and snow is to get into the Christmas spirit.  This year I am going to try to finish some of my Christmas stories because I don't want to just be the dick that killed Santa.  So, in the spirit of Christmas I want to know what Christmas stories, movies, or traditions inspire everyone.  I already watch a lot of movies, make Christmas muffins, and literally just spend hours daydreaming about Christmases to come, and ones past -- I can never sleep when Christmas is near (I guess maybe it's not daydreaming if its at night, but I am not actually sleeping so, I don't think I can just call it dreaming).  Anyway (for the second time) I would like to add some new movies, stories, and traditions in the hope that these might help me actually finish a story, rather than ignore them all when I get my Christmas adrenaline rush, which will be any day now.  Any suggestions?

2 comments:

  1. Jared, I loved that story you wrote about killing Santa. I still talk about it to friends when I talk about stories that left an impression on me. Have you tried publishing it anywhere? Because I think you could and should.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jessie. I have not actually ever tried publishing anything. I always mean to, but so far haven't.

    ReplyDelete