Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Considering, Describing, and Writing 'The Moment'

I often choose to write in images.  It seems to work for short stories.  I don't necessarily have much plot. I get basic ideas and I start. I might even finish without realizing that my story doesn't really have a plot -- sometimes I don't even realize this until somebody else tells me.  Even then, I often think they are wrong at first.  When I discovered this I became too focused on plot.  I realize that there needs to be some purpose behind the descriptions of a specific moment, behind the colours and smells, but reading David's post (http://www.8secondsofawesome.com/post/10758325575/i-will-be-working-on-the-basis-of-the-small-units) reassured me that writing in this manner is a good thing.  Whether I need to go back and reconsider or add responses and reactions from my characters or not, stories can begin and end within small units -- a short story can be contained within a singular moment.  I hadn't finished a complete short story in about a year because I think I lost sight of this.  I was always concerned with the plot, and could never get back to writing the details, to exploring the 'space and time'.  Rediscovering this allowed me to write again.  I even started writing my latest short story with the words 'The moment . . .' because that is what I want to focus on -- it's what I want to write about. 

1 comment:

  1. I am happy to hear that you responded to the post. I like your line that "stories can begin and end within small units." So much, I reposted it: http://www.8secondsofawesome.com/post/11079064901/stories-can-begin-and-end-within-small-units-a

    I think we just went Inception.

    ReplyDelete